Pages - Menu

Saturday, October 12, 2013

(PICS INSIDE) The gym instructor hunk who shrunk 18 stone in 18 months

Mike Waudby, 31, went from 33st to a muscle-bound 15st after trying to kill himself - and is now a qualified personal trainer


An obese man who tried to kill himself after a group of girls said he made them feel sick has lost 18st and become a gym instructor known as Mr Muscles.

Mike Waudby, 31, turned into a recluse after ­revellers told him to leave a bar because of his bulging 33st body.

He said: “I used to go out but, one night, a girl came up to me and asked me to leave.

"I asked why and she said I was making her and her friends feel sick.

“That was the last time I went out, apart from to the doctor’s, for seven years.”

Too big to move and tortured by depression, Mike eventually decided to take his life, but even two bottles of whisky, eight cans of Stella and a handful of tablets did not have an effect on his huge frame.

He said: “I remember waking up, no headache, no pain, just a sickening feeling that I was still here and not dead.”

After surviving his suicide attempt Mike pledged to turn his life around. He ordered an exercise machine off the internet and set it up at home in Hull, East Yorkshire.



Now, 18 months on, he weighs a trim 15st and is forging a career as a qualified personal trainer.

Mike said: “I was too scared to go to the gym because people pointed and laughed at me in the street.

"I had wasted everything and lost everything. The only person who could do something was me.

“Every session on the cross-trainer ended up with me taking my 4XL dripping wet T-shirt off and just looking down at my belly crying.

"But, each time, I picked myself up and carried on.”

Mike gradually built up his stamina to three one-hour sessions a day. He stopped drinking altogether and eventually the weight dropped off.

He paid to have his excess skin removed but it did not work, so he finally braved the gym to tone up.

Known by pals as Mr Muscles, he is now looking to take on his first clients and has a girlfriend called Morgan.

Thrilled Mike said: “Losing weight has not only given me a new lease of life, it has actually given me a life.”